Waterloo Grammar School Old Boys' Association is open to former pupils and staff of the school which opened on the 1st October 1912 and closed in July 1972 with the introduction of comprehensive education in Crosby. The school became part of Manor High School but staff and pupils remained at the old school for a further year until space became available in Manor High School.
This building opened and admitted its first pupils on 1st October 1912.
It started life as the Waterloo with Seaforth Dual Secondary School with 90 girls and boys and a complement of five full-time teachers and three part-time staff.
Numbers grew steadily and by 1920 over 400 pupils were being educated in the building.
1921 saw a significant change in the school. A new grammar school for girls was opened in Waterloo Park and the building became the boys' grammar school. However, girls who had already embarked upon their school certificate courses were allowed to remain at the school until the courses were completed. It was not until 1925 when the remaining three girls completed the higher school certificates that the school became a boys’ grammar school.
The Honours Boards in the hall record the boys and girls who achieved academic distinction in those early years.
The Waterloo Grammar School continued in existence until 1972 when, with the introduction of comprehensive education, the school merged with Manor Secondary Modern School for Girls to become Manor High School. However, the boys and staff remained in the old building for a further year awaiting the completion of additional facilities at Manor High School. The building ceased its role as a grammar school in July 1973.
As the South Sefton Adult Education Centre the building continues to serve the local community as an educational establishment.
It is a listed building and old boys’ visiting the building see few changes to the internal structure. The laboratories, the demonstration room and the gym have changed use but the woodwork room still exists and visiting old boys still maintain it has the same 'smell'. Some still insist that the ghost of Jimmy Higson, the woodwork master who was at the school when it opened in 1912 and who retired in 1949, still occupies that basement area. If you hear the cry "Round my desk!" - that is Jimmy's voice.
The school stage, scene of daily assemblies, House and School Plays, School Concerts and the annual Music & Arts Festival, has disappeared and now houses the eating area.
The balcony used to house the School Memorial listing the names of Old Boys who died in both World Wars. The Memorial Casket and Book were kept in St Mary's Church, Waterloo Park until March 2017, but have now been moved to Christ Church, Waterloo.
The Association has an extensive range of archive material including bound copies of the school magazine from the 1st edition published in 1916. Included in the archives are photographs, programmes, and reports on the many school societies and events.
The Old Boys' Association was formed in 1938 but owes its origins to the Old Boys' Football Club founded in 1924. Approximately 500 Old Boys and staff are members and a Magazine is published every October and mailed around the world. The Association maintains its own archives and has a copy of every school Magazine from 1916, the first issue, to 1966 the last issue published.
The while one wanderer is left to hear
And the young life and laughter of the old days
Shall wake undying echoes”
by Sir Geoffrey Winthrop Young